Learn More About Our Food Systems Consulting Company
About Food Lens Consulting
Scott Rowe and Rubina Jamal formed Food Lens Consulting in 2015. They met in 2011 at the Table Matters Network, a public health- and food-related network in North Vancouver, which they had separately joined because of similar interest in improving access to better food in their individual communities.
In 2014, they worked together on a project headed by the City of North Vancouver to scale up food rescue on the North Shore. During this project, they decided to formalize their working relationship by establishing a company.
- Helped build collaborative networks between community organizations
- Advised on creating and improving food repurposing programs
- Launched a school meal program based on food recovery principles
- Advanced food literacy through staff training
- Instructed volunteers and youth to prepare food safely and effectively
- Developed a data collection tool to track surplus food usage
- Given talks on the food cycle and food sustainability to public and community groups
- Took part in a national campaign for a universal school meal program
We have helped reframe the conversation about surplus food, from being considered as inedible to being treated as healthy food that should be saved and can even be fed to our children. Our company has coached organizations on food recovery and showed how to do this while maintaining a food safe environment.
Food Lens Consulting has brought different groups together to maximize our impact through collaborative and reciprocal arrangements. We are excited about the advocacy campaign for a national universal healthy school food program in Canada.
Our company offers practical solutions that facilitate broader societal and organizational changes around food. We provide a broad range of services such as hands-on training and implementation, feasibility studies, and governance/structural advice and strategies. With our diverse occupational, gender, and cultural backgrounds, we bring together different perspectives on problem solving.
Coalition for Healthy School Food (A group advocating for a universal school meal program in Canada)
Law Society of British Columbia
Board Director, BC Association of Farmers' Markets
Red Seal Chef, Red Seal Interprovincial Program
- Conflict Resolution and Advanced Mediation, Justice Institute of British Columbia
- Strategic Planning and Board Governance, Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges
Scott and Rubina
FOODSAFE Level 2, FOODSAFE™